I had a problem recently.
I was at the gym a few weeks ago and realized that I have been listening to the same songs over and over again for the last several years!
I decided it was time to get some fresh tunes flowing through my new Amazon Music Unlimited subscription and...
Since the Internet is a thing, I reached out to 45 running, fitness and bodybuilding experts and asked them a simple question…
“What 2-3 songs are you currently listening to that get you pumped to go run/workout?”
What I got back was nothing short of amazing. 114 power songs to help you smash through the toughest set or the most grueling run.
I’ve listed every song below in the order they were received.
Can you guess the most popular song? See if you can figure it out...
Lisa's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Club Can't Handle Me - Flo Rida
2. Cant Hold Us - Macklemore
3. Runaway Baby - Bruno Mars
Kelly's Current Favorite:
*Editors Note - If you're unaware, Brain.fm is a music app developed by scientists to help you with focus. Pretty smart 🙂
Nia's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Halestorm - I Am The Fire
2. Halestorm - Mayhem
Ken was kind enough to ask his long distance running club for their favorite running songs. Here's what they came up with...
1. Snap - I've got the power
2. AC/DC - Thunderstruck!
3. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
Kris's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Crossfire - Hydra
2. Concord Dawn - Take Me Away
3. DJ Dean - Play It Hard
Darya's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Seedless - The Orange Album
2. Seedless - Heart of a Warrior
Cassey's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Fitz and the Tantrums - Roll Up
2. Chainsmokers - Don't Let me Down
3. Betty Who - Human Touch
Hayden's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Jump - Van Halen
2. Sweet Loving’ Original Mix - Sigala
3. My Feelings For You - Avicii
Jason's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. NY State of Mind - Nas
2. Hypnotize - Notorious BIG
3. Rebel Without a Pause - Public Enemy
Dr. John's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Rick Ross - Stay Schemin’
2. The Script - Hall of Fame
Some Of Lee's Favorite Workout Songs From The Past:
1. Madvillain - Figaro
2. Eminem - Say what you Say
3. Jay Z - U Don't Know
Lindsay's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You (Current Favourite)
2. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean (Favourite Golden Oldie)
Howard's Favorite... Uh... Well... Just Check It Out 🙂
1. DJ Muscle Boy - Musclebells
*Editors Note - If you're looking for a good laugh check out this "Super Weird Track for Bros that Lift". Recommended link:
DJ Muscle Boy - Musclebells
Nick's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. "Anything by Eminem"
Jeff's Current Favorite Running Songs:
1. Running Down a Dream - Tom Petty
2. Dream On - Aerosmith
Corine's Current Favorite Songs To Run To:
1. iRobot - Jon Bellion
2. My House - Flo Rida
3. Barbeque - ALO
Corine Says - "Weird combo, I know. Haha"
Paul's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Silent Sparrow - Big Hero 6 soundtrack
2. Into the mouth of hell we march - Trivium
3. Only - Anthrax
Jarred's Current Favorite Songs To Work Out To:
1. A Tribe Called Red - Electric Pow Wow Drum
2. Railroad Track - Willy Moon
Jason's Epic Pre-Race Songs:
1. Let's Get It Started - The Black Eyed Peas
2. Lose Yourself - Eminem
3. Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Some Of Dai's Current Favorites:
1. Back To Back - Drake
2. Been Caught Stealing - Jane's Addiction
3. Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
Three Random Songs From Will's "Gym Music" Playlist:
1. The City Sleeps - MC 900ft Jesus
2. Fight The Good Fight - Triumph
3. Shadow On The Sun - Audio Slave
Will Says - "My workout songs are all over the place and for some, not workout songs at all. I don't need head banging stuff to get motivated, and some times even stirring classical music motivates me because it emotionally moves me."
Elizabeth's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Do It Like a Dude - Jessie J
2. Me, Myself & I - G Eazy
Nick's Current Favorite Songs To Lift To:
1. Simon Patterson - Evoke
2. Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike - Mammoth
3. Kaimo K - Mayhem
Nick Says - "I love my fast-paced and uplifting trance and hard-hitting EDM."
Jason's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. 100 Miles N' Runnin' - NWA
2. Blunt Blowin' - Lil' Wayne
3. Gimmie The Loot - Notorious BIG
Jason Says (About 100 Miles N' Runnin') - "You can't NOT set a PR with Eazy-E's high pitched whine and this electric beat flowing through your headphones."
Pat's Current Favorite Lifting Songs:
1. Extreme - Mother (Don't Want to Go to School Today)
2. Dream Theater - Panic Attack
A Couple Of Jordan's Fun Songs:
1. Frank Sinatra - I've Got The World On A String
2. Shakira - She Wolf
Jordan Says - "I'm not big on getting "amped up" to workout -- I jus like to have fun with it."
Jess's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Nicki Minaj - Any Song By Her
2. Justin Bieber - New Album
3. The Weekend - Starboy
Dr. Layne Norton's Epic Lifting Songs:
1. Man of Steel Theme - Hans Zimmer
2. Two Steps from Hell - To Glory
3. Breaking Benjamin - Without You
Erny's PR Smashing Favorites:
1. Skillet - Feel Invincible
2. Newsboys - Born Again
3. Newsboys - I am Second
A Few Of Margie's Favorites:
1. Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden
2. Crank It - Ghastly Ft. Lil Jon
3. Planet A - The Devil Wears Prada
Will's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Nobody Speak - DJ Shadow and Run The Jewels
2. What Went Down - Foals
3. You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar - Queens of The Stone Age (always good for a particularly tough set)
David's Favorite Running Songs (With Instructions :)):
1. Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil (Great, rolling beat to warm you up).
2. Snoop Dogg & Pharrell - Drop it like it's hot (They're just having so much fun in this song. Good for the first couple of miles).
3. DaftPunk - Around the World (I'm not big on super high energy songs when I'm working out, but that have nice, fun consistent beats. This is just one from DaftPunk).
Mike's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Green - Azel Phara
2. Wolves - Digitalism
3. Porno Disaster - The Octopus Project
4. Shake Me Down - Cage the Elephant
5. Stepping Out - Alta
Julie's Current Favorite Songs To Run To:
1. Bar at the End of the World -- Kenny Chesney
2. We Should be Friends- Miranda Lambert
3. Somewhere on a Beach- Dierks Bentley
Julie Says - "I'm a big country fan (and apparently a big beach music fan! lol)"
Eric's Two Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. No Favors - Big Sean & Eminem
2. Ruff Ryders Anthem - DMX
Eric Says - "For me, anything with anger, a good beat, and deep bass is a winner."
Adam's Current Favorites:
1. There Will Be Time - Mumford & Sons
2. I Don't Get Tired - Kevin Gates
Beth's Current Favorite Running Songs:
1. Thunderstruck – AC/DC – (Older one but never gets “old!”)
2. Kick Start My Heart – Motley Crue
3. Waste a Moment – Kings of Leon
Clare's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. You Can’t Stop Me - Andy Mineo
2. Falling Into You - Hillsong Young & Free
Eric's Current Favorite Ultra-Running Songs:
1. Jeanine - Matt Flaherty (the Solomon runner) (About pushing the limits of exploration on the trails and how it affects the ones you live).
2. An Ocean in Between the Waves - The War on Drugs. (Great build up with a driving tempo that makes me want to run fast). 3. Honky Tonk Heroes - Hank Williams Jr. (Because Hank Williams Jr.).
Darcy's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. One More Night - Maroon 5 (Man, I was just working out this morning and heard this song at the end of my workout. It was really the only way I could have kept the cycling speed up after working super hard for the previous 45 mins).
2. Counting Stars - OneRepublic
3. Can't Hold Us - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton
Lee's Current Favorite Workout Songs:
1. Kanye - POWER
2. Trick Daddy - Let's Go
3. Young Thug - Hurcules
4. Rob Baily - Beast (South Paw Soundtrack)
Here's What Chris Had To Say:
Getting out the door - Nothing pumps me up for a great run like Annelise LeCheminant’s “The Race that Eats its Young.” From the breathless opening to the defiant climax, I hang on every word and know I am a champion in the making.
Hitting my stride -Best for use on the treadmill due to the blaring sirens, Brad Paisley’s “Mr Policeman” challenges me to hang on for my life and ignore the heart rate monitor screaming at me to slow down.
Breaking through the wall - I can’t leap tall buildings in a single bound, but “Superman” by R.E.M. helps me crush my goals every time. I’ve also been known to break it out when going into a particularly important meeting. Why not, eh?
Sam's Current Favorite Running Songs:
1. Bumblebee – Kasabian
2. Iron Sky – Paulo Nutini
3. Lost Generation – Rizzle Kicks
Sam Says - "I hope that helps and feel free to have a look at our playlist for these TheRunningAwards.com/playlist - These are all voted for runners and automatically update.
Laura's Current Favorite Running Songs:
1. Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga. (This has a fabulous beat, and I love listening to it during a race and reminding myself that if I push hard enough, *I* could be on the edge of glory in the form of a PR or maybe even an age group award 🙂 I listened to it the morning of the 2013 New York City Marathon, which was my 100th marathon, and arrived at the start SO pumped up and ready to go!)
2. Pompeii - BAstille. (This song has a fantastic beat, and sounds like some kind of tribal victory song. In fact, I used to play it as a victory song whenever I completed an exceptionally tough workout! “Pompeii” makes me feel powerful and accomplished and confident – exactly how I need to feel when I'm getting ready to run.)
1. 'Non-Stop' by Lin-Manuel Miranda from the Hamilton soundtrack. (It details Hamilton's incredible level of achievement and success after the Revolution. Gets me amped to do great things).
2. 'Mene' by Brand New. (I've Abeen waiting for a new Brand New album since 2009. It was scheduled for release in 2016, then they announced they were pushing it back, creating a sea of musical blue balls and broken hearts for emo kids around the world. Anyway, they dropped MENE last year, and it's pretty excellent. Solid, heavy rock with a forceful lyrical push that's impossible not to respond to. Great for pre-workout, and keeping me warm until the ablum comes out).
HUGE thanks to everyone who contributed to this mammoth list of awesome songs! Please share if you think it was useful!